Friday, September 16, 2011

Pendulum Motion

From reading this article, I have found myself thinking even more of the processes that science goes through. Even though I did learn a lot about the pendulum, I was even more astounded by the steps in which Galileo had to go through to get to his ultimate goal.

When Galileo first came up with his theory of the pendulum, he came upn multiple road blocks. One being his good friend, del Monte. Not only did del Monte disagree with Galileo's theory of the pendulum, but he also experimented it to prove it wrong. Del Monte questioned Galileo's methods of how he came up with his theory and told Galileo that his mathematics were not applicable to this situation. After this set back, Galileo persisted and even though he died before he could finish his pendulum, a Dutch scientist took over his legacy of the pendulum and proved it correct.

Another bit I found interesting in this article is a quote found on the upper right of the first page, "The study of pendulum motion illustrates how science may be influenced by social and economic problems, and how science can in turn impact society. This mutual impact is not unusual, and is illustrated throughout historical and contemporary science and society." I love this quote for multiple reasons. Looking back at the past few years, I understand how certain situations can influence science. One thing that came to mind was global warming. Global warming has caught many people's attention, and in turn, there has been an influx of attention to it in the science world. The fact that the same occured during Galileo's era concerning time is very interesting to me. Galileo would not let the science of time be a problem, so he did something about it. He tried his hardest to find a way to keep time better for the society. This helped the world both economically and socially. People were able to continue trading between countries as well as improve their relations with other areas of the world.

Galileo's perseverance for the pendulum has made  me think about our experiments in class. This article has taught me that perseverance is key when it comes to science. Not giving up, and not knowing the exact answer should not keep one from trying their hardest at finding the correct answers.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post! I hadn't really thought about the persistence it took for Galileo while working on the pendulum, but it is a very good point. I think it proves that hard work will pay off. I really like that you pulled the quote about science influencing society and vise versa. I mentioned it in my blog as well. Your example of global warming is great! I was trying to come up with some examples but all that came to mind was disease and searching for cures. lol I think you summarized the article very nicely and added some insightful thoguhts. :)

    ReplyDelete