Thursday, September 8, 2011

"The Virtues of Not Knowing"

"The Virtues of Not Knowing," to me, is a very impactful text. It stresses the importance of figuring out an answer rather than being told an answer. By applying different theories to an experiment or situation, one is able to go through a thinking process that is beneficial to them in the long run. This helps one's understanding of science. If someone just simply knows the answer to a question, they will not fully understand all the factors that contributes to the experiment. I loved the examples of the students figuring out how different bottles can hold the same water, yet the amount of water looks compeletly different. The student's thought process shows how rewarding it is for a child to figure out the correct answer on his or her own. Sometimes, simply just telling a student the answer is not the correct way to teach a concept. As a future educator, this article gave me a lot to think about. Hopefully from reading this text, I can alter some of my teaching styles to use this type of reasoning in my classroom. In this way, I can get my children to appreciate the virtue of not knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment